Saturday, May 16, 2009

"We are one body of Christ."

So I just finished reading this book Tortured For His Faith by Haralan Popov. It was very intense and violent and my heart just ached for these Christian prisoners who are/were treated so inhumanly. But I was just in awe of how the pastor (Popov), enduring the most torturous treatments, and yet remained strong and continued to use every single opportunity to share the Gospel. Literally, every opportunity (including in solitary confinement)! During the last chapter of the 160 page book written from Bulgaria, Popov spoke directly to us Christians in the free countries of the world.
"My mission among you in the Free World is to awaken the conscience of the Christians in the Free World to the suffering and needs of our fellow-Christians behind the Iron Curtain....whether in Bulgaria or Russia or America, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, children of the same God. Yet that part of the Body of Christ in the Communist countries are being tortured, imprisoned and suffering as never before since the days of the martyrs of the Early Church. Can you not feel their pain?....even as this spiritual struggle rages behind the Iron Curtain, as martyrs are dying for their faith, and as true servants of God are arrested and have their children taken away from them for life, yet in the churches of the Free World, one can go for years without hearing one prayer for our suffering brethren in Communist lands! I have spoken around the world on behalf of the Underground Church and I have often asked, "Who here has prayed for the suffering Christians of the Underground Church?" Always the answer is almost no one! It is a shame on the conscience of all free Christians. We from communist lands are your brothers and sisters in Christ. We are one body of Christ."
It made me feel incredibly guilty and I am now determined to include our fellow Christians in communist countries in my prayers. I encourage you all to do so as well! A great website to visit is http://www.persecution.com/. I also am wanting to begin collecting Bibles to send to communist countries somehow. I'm not sure where exactly I will send them yet, but I will. Any ideas/thoughts? Also, think about this... Obama is wanting to cut off all Christian talk radio stations. How much longer will he, or future Presidents, allow Bibles to be sold in stores? We can't know. It could be very soon. He's already told the world we are no longer a Christian nation. Shouldn't that be a hint? I'm thinking we all need to start collecting Bibles, even if they're simply paper-backed Bibles at Dollar Tree (because even so, they're still God's Word), to be prepared for when we may not be allowed to have them. What are your thoughts???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Amazing that a book written in 1970 is still prevalent today.
The future is uncertain to us, but crystal clear to the Lord.
I agree with purchasing Bibles - the Lord will do the rest.

Jolie said...

mm, most interesting...as well as convicting. great post.